in General

Thoughts on mobile/responsive sites – more than 20%?

Over the past couple of days I’ve been listening to Pat Flynn’s latest podcast called, Go Mobile or Get Left Behind with Greg Hickman of MobileMixed.com, and it’s got me thinking a bit about mobile.

I think we can all agree that a ton of us view information on our phones.  I know I do.  At first it didn’t annoy me to go to a site that wasn’t responsive or had a mobile portion, but now it does. Especially if I’m clicking there from Twitter or Facebook.

On the flip side Pat mentioned that his SmartPassiveIncome.com site, at the moment, is only getting 20% traffic from mobile devices.  This is also what I see on my companies site as well. Granted it’s only two sites of how many billions out there.  I would take a guess that most websites fall into this range.  Not more than 20%.  My last thought is that if mobile is so ‘big’ as everyone keeps telling us what is it going to take to get over that 20% for those sites that aren’t specific for mobile?  Something else one could extrapolate from this is that perhaps the 20% we are seeing are from those people who are on personal mobile devices and the other 80% is from people who are browsing from work stuck in front of a desktop!  Now that’s even more scary if you think about it (perhaps just from a business owners perspective!).